Invite your friends by posting this on Twitter: "#BSidesAustin April 12th-13th, 2012: Keepin Security Weird!"
About the Event:
BSides Austin is an eclectic group of infosec pros gathered to hear awesome talks and have outrageously fun discussions. Our mission is to provide an inclusive, some say quirky, yet open environment for sharing and collaborative discourse on security topics that most interest you.
Last year the Austin event was fantastic, which you know if you were there. Security BSides Austin 2012 will be even better. If you have thoughts, comments, complaints, suggestions, or would like to volunteer, let us know - send a message to:
When: Thursday & Friday - April 12-13, 2012
Where: The Hideout Theatre - 617 Congress (and beyond) Austin, Texas
Cost: $10 per day (helps us offset costs not covered by sponsors)
Each BSides is a community-driven framework for building events for and by information security community members.
The goal is to expand the spectrum of conversation beyond the traditional confines of space and time. It creates opportunities for individuals to both present and participate in an intimate atmosphere that encourages collaboration.
It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from participants. It is where conversations for the next-big-thing are happening. You don’t want to miss it!
BSides Austin Specialties Include:
- Repeating again this year - AppSec Guerrilla Camp: What is AppSec Guerrilla Camp? A form of irregular training that gives you concentrated hands-on training in a highly mobile format.
- Repeating again this year - Fire Marshall Talks: Yes, we renamed the talks to include the WONDERFUL experience we had with the Austin Fire Marshall unsuccessfully raining on our Con - But BCP prevailed and we continued without a hitch. So here is to you Mr. Fire Marshall... talks named in your 'by the book' honor!
- NEW this year - Get your head in the Cloud Training
- And the return of Hackers on a Duck - YES, Year 3 of the epic event, though this is a paid event by attendees. Get your Hacker on a Duck Tickets HERE - (Thursday night after the talks - Dinner and Drinks included $40)
- Lodging: Yes, we moved it a month later during SxSWi, that means rooms are available. Let us know if you would like a room and we will try and get a block at a nearby hotel. Send hotel block request to: BSidesTexas(at)Gmail.com
BSides Austin Talks 2012 Call For Presenters (CFP)
The deadline for the first round of submissions is 12:00 NOON ET on MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2012. Submitter's who have talks accepted in this round will be notified on MONDAY, MARCH 19.
The deadline for the second round of submissions is 12:00 NOON ET on MONDAY, MARCH 23, 2012. Submitter's who have talks accepted in this round will be notified on FRIDAY, MARCH 23.
For these two rounds of submissions, there will be TWO METHODS OF TALK SELECTION.
For the first round, a B-Sides Austin 2012 selection committee will rate and select a set of talks. The committee membership is still being determined, but it will exclude anyone who is submitting a talk or the Con planners.
Any talks not selected from the first round will be included in the second round of submissions for a vote. Registered attendees will vote on the talks they want to see. The vote will be conducted by SURVEY, NOT ON TWITTER. YOU MUST BE REGISTERED FOR THE CONFERENCE WITH A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS IN ORDER TO HAVE A CHANCE TO VOTE. The survey link will be sent out to attendees shortly after the second submission round closes.
We hope that mixing these two selection methods will result in a fair and high-quality conference lineup. Please note that if you submit your talk early (in the first round), it will have two chances to be selected (by committee and by vote). (Yes, we know this first deadline is right after RSA/B-Sides SF. Plan ahead, or get over your hangovers quickly. The folks who have to sit out those conferences will have the advantage here.)
TALKS THAT ARE SELECTED AS ALTERNATES may be able to be included if we construct a space for a third track, depending on logistics and weather. ALTERNATES will be notified by FRIDAY, MARCH 23 if we will be able to include them.
Submit your topics at BSidesTexas(at)Gmail.com