Invite your friends by posting this on Twitter: "#BSidesIowa Saturday, March 24, 2012: Security fun! https://besidesiowa.eventbrite.com"
About the Event:
Each BSides is a community-driven framework for building events for and by information security community members.
The goal is to expand the spectrum of conversation beyond the traditional confines of space and time. It creates opportunities for individuals to both present and participate in an intimate atmosphere that encourages collaboration.
It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from participants. It is where conversations for the next-big-thing are happening. You don’t want to miss it!
Central Iowa is filled with a wide range of security professionals with various skill levels. The Des Moines Area is a major center for the insurance industry and also has a sizable financial services and publishing base.
Within 45 mins of the Des Moines area it is the home of Iowa State University which is home to one of the original 7 NSA certified centers of Academic Excellence in information assurance, DMACC ECI, which is a 2 year program to educate students and law enforcement about cyber crime and cyber terrorism.
Des Moines is located within five hours of Chicago, four hours from Minneapolis and Kansas City, and two hours from Omaha. We are in a perfect position to draw upon security experts for this conference.
When: Saturday, March 24, 2012 from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (CST)
Where: Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa
Cost: Free of course!
Registration: Registration is now OPEN! Get your tickets before it sells out. Eventbrite sign-up: https://besidesiowa.eventbrite.com/
Overview of Volunteer Opportunities
BSides Iowa is currently accepting volunteers for the core team. We are looking to fill the spots listed below. More might be listed as we notice a deficiency in coverage:
- Volunteer Coordinator: Responsible in making sure that we have sufficient volunteers for coverage on the event day. Volunteers can probably be tapped from ISSA, InfraGard, Student Groups, etc.
- Catering Coordinator: We must feed our attendees. You will be responsible in finding and securing catering for the event. We will figure out budgeting.
- VIP Coordinator: You will be responsible in making sure that our Speakers are taken care of. You might need a few runners the day of the event to make sure that everything is ready for them. Make sure they get from Hotel to event location if required.
- SWAG Coordinator: You will be responsible to handling all SWAG that is given away and helping with T-Shirt Ordering.
- Sponsor Coordinator: You will be contacting sponsors to increase our budget to make sure that everything is covered. Make sure that everything day of is ready for them.
- VIP Reception Coordinator: You will be working with the Catering Coordinator to set up a VIP Reception the night before the event. This will give volunteers, sponsors, and speakers a chance to mingle before the event. Food, drinks, entertainment. (Possible Campus Band)
- After Event Reception Coordinator: Mingle Reception for all attendees. Food, drinks, entertainment. (Possible Campus Band)
- Media Coordinator: Get the word out, press releases, photography, connections with media/podcasters/bloggers that want to interview attendees/speakers.