Security on the beach, where else but in Los Angeles! Two days of talks on the beach, with real Firetalks with Real fires! "Bring your swimming trunks, 'cause if they don't like your talk, you're going in the water!" - @banasidhe
BSidesLA goal is to mash up the local Southern California security community with the best open thinkers from around the world in the famous SecurityBSides open, interactive and community oriented format.
This is a community event - for all of us, by all of us. In exchange for it being a free event, you will be encouraged to be active. Come and talk, speak up, ask questions and participate throughout the event. It is a time for all of us to learn, share and explore without judgment, and con-fees.
When: August 18 & 19, 2011
Where: Dockweiler Youth Center and Dockweiler State Beach
Cost: Free (as always!) Register to Attend Now!
The event will include:
- Thursday and Friday during the day there will be a selection of semi-scheduled talks at Dockweiler Youth Center.
- Submit what you'd like to talk about below - all talks, all security related subjects and all formats are welcome.
- When we fill up, speakers will be selected in equal amounts from local Southern California talent, your votes, and a few "organizer's choice".
Thursday evening, dinner with open firetalks around the firepits at Dockweiler State Beach
- Dinner: A special surprise with a special dinner on the beach!
- Firetalks: any attendee can present in a 15 minute format - 10 to talk, 5 for community feedback.
- Sign-ups to get a spot on the firetalks will open August 1st.
Volunteers! Sponsors! We need sponsors, wranglers, handlers, speakers, nuts, looneys, the sane, and those of you that are somewhere in-between to all throw in a hand. Because in Los Angeles, we do everything BIG.
Invite your friends by posting this on Twitter: "#BSidesLA August 18&19,2011: Discover the next big thing!"
Firetalks on the Beach!
We will be opening submissions for Firetalks on the Beach starting on August 1. All attendees and speakers are welcome to submit to give a firetalk. Signups will continue through to August 18th when we will post the list of people who have signed up. Do not worry about being accepted. We will accept anyone who wants to talk!
To submit, send an email with your name (real name, and handle if you wish) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you'd like to follow the signups, join the Google Group "BSidesLA Firetalks".
The Format: Each Firetalk will be given a total of 20 minutes. Each speaker will have up to 10 minutes to talk on any subject of their choice, and those gathered around the fire will have up to 10 minutes to either: discuss and debate the subject and the talk, or throw the speaker in the ocean (yes, it is an option, and we hear there are sharks...)
There are no limits on subjects, animation, or creativity. This is a time to share and really see if you have an idea in your future that will be your own "Next Big Thing".